Monday, April 20, 2009

Sugar Free - Week 1

Day 1 - Sunday
Not too bad. We don't usually have a ton of sugar products in the house, so it was fairly easy day. The walk through Costco with their free samples every 2 feet was a bit treacherous, but I made in through unscathed.

Day 2 - Monday
The donuts down the hall are taunting me. I've skipped the donuts on Monday morning before - it's not a big deal. But today, those donuts are just calling out my name. Mean donuts. Only 10-ish hours until I can satisfy my sweet tooth with grilled pineapple.

This was a tough day. Not only was it donut day, but someone brought in cookies from a nearby bakery. They have the best sugar cookies in the world. I probably looked like a freak of nature reading the ingredient lists on potato chip bags at Subway, but Salt & Vinegar flavor have no sugar - BBQ and Sour Cream & Onion flavor do contain sugar. I also discovered that my beloved teriyaki turkey jerky has sugar - which I should have known and probably suspected. But it still makes sad.

The grilled pineapple and pears were a lovely dessert, though.

Day 3 - Tuesday
It's the little things getting to me. Mainly at work. The Coke in the fridge, the hot chocolate on the counter, the candy in the snack drawer. Somehow cheese and rice crackers aren't cutting it for me.

Day 4 - Wednesday
I woke up with a nasty headache. I don't know if it's related to my lack of sugar or just because I get headaches sometimes. Hopefully some caffeine and fruit for breakfast will cure it.

Day 5 - Thursday
Today didn't seem so bad. I think Day 4 was the critical point. I did have fast-food nachos for lunch and I don't know if there was any sugar in my meal. But none of the various ingredients (tortilla chips, guacamole, beans, etc) traditionally contain sugar, so I think I'm good on that one.

Day 6 - Friday
I'm starving today. I don't know if that has anything to do with my sugar deprivation, but I think I could eat the entire contents of my refrigerator right now. The sugar cravings do seem to be pretty low, though. I would have loved a flavored creamer in my coffee this morning, but I'm OK without it.

Day 7 - Saturday
I miss chocolate. Halfway through my challenge - Yay!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I'm cheering for you and waiting to see how week two plays out. I should try something like this.

    ReplyDelete