Monday, February 16, 2009

How Does One Punctuate Presidents' Day?

I’m pretty sure the last non-gifted white child was born in 1962 in Reseda, CA.
I had an obsessive parenting spell last week. I was half-convinced Tamsin was saying "Yeah" when we asked her questions. I have since realized that she is just making a noise that sounds suspiciously like "yeah" but has no real meaning. Anyway, during the spell, I posted on a Mothering magazine message board* asking when other babies said their first words. Well, it turns out, Tamsin is the dunce of group with her first maybe-possibly-probably-not word at 8 months old. According to a rough scan of the replies, the average age for first word is about 5 months and by 8 months she should have a pretty extensive vocabulary. But, seriously, people, if your 2-month-old happens to make the "Ma-ma" sound**, she's not calling to you. She's just trying out a new sound.

*The people who post on Mothering are an interesting mix. Generally, I get some good advice there. And I really admire the efforts these women make to live naturally, but there are some real whack-a-dos on that site.

**Tamsin refuses to say "Ma-ma." When I try to prompt her to say it, she just laughs at me.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I really love the word conundrum today. I keep coming up with scenarios in my head just so I can say, "It's a conundrum." It started with the message board inspired question of whether to post my Facebook status in first person or third person? It's a conundrum. And has escalated to, "Do I eat my soup first? Or my cottage cheese? It's a conundrum." I'm sure I will encounter many more conundrums throughout the day.

You like me. You really like me. Or not?
So last week, I waxed poetic on my love for message boards. What I didn't tell you is how obsessive I am about checking them - especially when I've written something. I'm always checking to see if someone has read and commented on something I've written. This is also the source of my Facebook addiction: I want people to read and comment on my status. I also want them to tell me my kid is cute*. I apparently seek personal validation from random internet people.

*Because she is cute. Anyone who denies it is blind.

2 comments:

  1. I will leave you a comment then you can be clam for another day cause someone has read your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to look into remedial baby speech therapy. You do want Tamsin to get into a good preschool don't you?

    ReplyDelete